Throwback Thursday June 11th 2020


This Throwback Thursday I'm discussing a religion inspired article from 2018. Because our article theme of this month will be "Synagogue and Mosque architecture". I've decided to keep this going. This is a religious place and the architecture of it. I couldn't come up with a better theme away from COVID 19.

If you want to watch more religion/cultural based articles. Check the playlist below!!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWmgR4wLBBfJZequWExOt9F6PiLk7rhfX

The article of this playlist that I'm going to review is the Catholic Architecture. It is a 4 part article with 1 bonus recap. Watch clip for the recap:

You see I'm Catholic and wanted to write what I know. I couldn't write about Christian congregations because I don't  know anything about them.

I've learned in my research that Catholic Architecture has four different evolution's during the years (Before Christ and After Christ):
  • Early Christian Architecture
  • Romanesque Architecture
  • Gothic Architecture
  • Baroque Architecture
  • Catholic churches in Suriname (and because I live in Suriname I included Catholic Churches from Suriname)
Review of  Early Christian Architecture article

This architecture style has 4 different characteristic:
  • house church
  • atrium
  • basilica
  • bema
  • mausoleum
  • cruciform ground plan: Latin or Greek

And with this you see the evolution the Catholic Architecture style during this period.

Review of Romanesque vs Gothic Architecture article
These two architecture style were overlapping at one moment. So this article was written as comparing of both parties. The differences were in:
  • arches in the roof
  • windows sizes
  • vaults
  • structural support choices
  • decorative exterior
I'm actually a fan of Gothic Architecture during my studies. And refreshing plus learning more about this was fun. The used links for information were:


Review of Baroque Architecture article

This architecture style is a French born style that I would love to witness one day in my life. I always get in awe of it. I learn this architecture style with Rocco style. I found it was interesting and a easy read to learn.
  • dramatic use of light
  • opulent use of color
  • incomplete architectural elements
  • unique ceiling
  • dramatic facade / entrance
  • roof design pear shaped
  • paintings and art were a big part of this style
The used link for information was:
History of Design| A journey into the history of architecture and interior design | Baroque and Rococo Link: https://www.slideshare.net/amalgshah/introduction-to-baroque-and-rococo-architecture

Review of Catholic churches in Suriname article
This article was just a photo collage of Surinamese Churches that I knew


Comments

  1. As a catholic this was fun to learn about by doing a lot of research

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most popular