No comparison |Day in the life RCD


 Your Solo Business VS a Full Team

Hello RCD readers,

As I’m laying down reflecting on the day, I wanted to share a little behind-the-scenes reality of running a solo practice.

​Today wasn’t quite what I planned. I missed church, but I did manage to fit in a site visit for an ongoing project I’ve been working on for about a month as we transition from preliminary design into technical drawings.

​Normally, I strictly protect my weekends. But flexibility is key when managing international clients. I ended up responding to clear up a vital detail regarding structural construction calculations. Because calculations weren’t part of the initial budget, I had to explain why they are non-negotiable for a safe building, keeping things completely transparent.

​On the flip side, today also brought a tough decision. I had to turn down a material cost request from a past client simply because my schedule couldn't accommodate it right now. 

A wave of insecurity hit me—it’s easy to look around, see larger operations taking on everything, and think, "With all the tools and AI out there, shouldn't I be doing this faster?" ​But larger operations have entire teams. 

As a solo practitioner, my focus and standard of quality matter most.

Growth will happen when the time is right, but right now, I have to protect my time and focus on what’s directly in front of me.

​How do you handle setting hard boundaries when your workload gets demanding?
​Until next time!

Comments

Most popular