Incompetence | Day in the life RCD

  

Hello RCD readers,

Your incompetence is not a reason for other's to be inconvenienced.  

I've noticed we are spoiled with things being easy. Instead of trying to better ourselves we choose the easy route. 

I had to touch on this subject. I'm not going to bash anybody. So I'm going to educate. 

Incompetence 
I've had situations were I was out of field and didn't know a lot about a certain subject. And I've noticed it was God who was trying to built me up. My first project after graduating was a large facility.  I didn't design it but I did the drawings. The architect expected a lot from me. I had to learn quick course with a lot of trial and error how to draft concrete beams and wooden roofplans. Construction and workdrawings. I had to be fast and make multiple drawings almost every day. We'd discuss it and I would correct it. It was a very stressful phase to be in such a work environment.  Mostly because I was expected to figure and solve problems on my own. 

The experience didn't end as I would've liked. But I've been really happy with being able to learn so much with crash course of trail and error.  With me educating myself with detail drafting. 

Inconvenience 
I could've given up. This was not my expertise yet. I should've gotten a project like drafting a small house or something.  But he gave a me a chance. And I grasped the chance right away. I didn't buckle and choose a different path that would've been easy. I educated myself daily. I grind to be faster and better in AutoCAD.  I'd check UNI books about concrete drawings. How to read them. How to draft them. What they mean to not ask or say anything foolish. And most important I was open for criticism.  Ofcourse I'd got the boot when I failed at something. But I'd never gave up. 

I never told the architect to change the design so the drafting could be easier. I worked with what I had and made it work.

Lesson of the day
Your incompetence should be a strive to learn and better yourself. And not to wine about it so that other's make it easier for you.  Be your best self. And do better.

Comments

Most popular