Failure equals Growth | Day in the life RCD


Hello RCD readers,

Failure is a big part of growth. And I've been embracing my bumps and misses with open arms. But most important learning from them

As we are in January. Why not discuss some RED FLAGS I missed last year or didn't want to acknowledge.

Story time1 :
Last year I had a client that contacted me for my prices. When I gave it I heard nothing from them for weeks. And all of the sudden app after a second discount promo for that year. They asked a lot of what if's about the possible design. After a lot of back and forth. We discussed a design because they explained wanting my services. I needed a deposit and they asked for a one on one consult to discuss my design ideas. The location was not sent. Until they asked if they had to pay for the site visit. I explained no because we already have a design and need confirmation. Nothing needs to be measured because I already had them from the client. I got the location pin after the direct you are not paying me for this consultation. We came to an agreement about what was going to be designed. The deposit had to be made for me to go further. And after a week of no response and me reminding with a follow up. No deposit no work. The client explained out of the blue that the price was not going to work for them.

RED FLAGS: "Client doesn't give a definitive YES but also not a NO"
- the client never gave a definitive yes with a deposit
- the client gave location pin after hearing it would be free
- the client came back after a discount
- the client kept checking off services to get work done for almost free

Solutions:
Make sure to get first consult payment with clients that are indecisive before having one on one consultation

What did I do wrong?
- not ask for site visit payment anyway (even if it felt like it was unnecessary that gives you some kind of payment. So when they don't go further. You know you were paid for your time)

What did I do right?
- Follow up after the site visit with the most important point; no deposit no work.

Story time 2:
This was a client who knew my offer from the get go and responded with let's start with the site visit service. The client didn't really read the emails etc that were sent. The client was eager to get to work and really motivated to make this project a reality really fast. The site visit was rushed to be done really fast. But the payment for the deposit and the rest of the money (for the site visit service) took weeks to be paid. * with a lot of excuses of a busy schedule.

RED FLAGS: " The rushed client are most of the times the ones that aren't really client's"
- the client wanted a concept layout really fast within a few days
- the client didn't agree with the whole design service from the get go but did agree the site visit
- the client didn't directly pay the entire payment after site visit was done with the thought they would get a definitive layout 
- the client had a lot of rush

What did I do wrong?
Nothing I knew from the get go this was maybe not going to be project. But hoped it was because they said yes the last consultations when the design options were discussed.

What did I do right?
- Stay professional and not take it personally
- Follow up to get the rest of the payment
- Brush it off and moved on
- Made sure I was paid for the consultation and site visit services
- Not designing further before getting a deposit for the technical drawings as much as they acted like it was a yes
- Not giving the definitive layout concept because that was not end of my site visit service 

Story time 3:
I'm sorry not complaining. I'm happy that I was able to actually do this last year. I boosted a discount. I had so much reach and no client's.

RED FLAGS: " Reach does not equal clients"
- my reach was really up
- my engagement was still on the down side
- my national holiday was of no interest to my client base at all

What did I do wrong?
Thinking boosting a discount would get clients. My client base is not the people that actually celebrate this holiday. I've not reached that client base yet. It can be language barrier.

What did I do right?
Absolutely nothing. It was so off based. But lesson learned this year. I just needed to wait it off and remember who my client base is and trusted followers. I should've checked which time my client's would spend more and not push a holiday on a discount.

Failure is not the opposite of success. 
It‘s part of success. Failure equals Growth."



 


 

Comments

Most popular