To speak or/of niet te praten | Day in the life RCD



Hello RCD readers,

What is your language barrier preference and why? If you can answer that below I would love to know.

You see this week a LinkedIn person posted a question. I'm paraphrasing but the content was
" Why do we as Surinamers speak English when we are a dutch speaking country?"

I have so much disagreement with this statement.  And I'm sure that I'm totally hypocritical. But the question is; should our native language be the same as the country that held us as a colony for so many years?

Look at an island like Curacao. They do not speak their supposed "native" learned language. Because let's be real it's not actually their country's language. 

Now what do I think our language is. 
Suriname is a multicultural country. On an average most people speak Dutch, Surinamese, English and the native language from their ethnicity. If we want to be correct our language is actually Surinamese because it's actually the only language that was made in Suriname self. It wasn't tought to us by our colony owners or for some of us our slave owners. 

Why do I think speaking in a language you prefer and feel comfortable in is the best for your post?
I can only speak for myself. I would have to say English writing and speaking is my preference.  I never had an accent while talking.  I was really good at it from a really young age. And I'm gonna be honest never really liked Dutch. Now the funny thing is my post are from the get go international.  I would be honest if I could talk Surinamese without an accent or if we had enough written dialect for the usage of my daily blog. I would use Surinamese. That would be a success. So I choose what I'm comfortable in. But not sure my readers for my blog are actually people who want to read Dutch. If I look at my insight I can see what people actually stay to read.

I recommend choose what feels right for you.  Any language is equally successful. And your group of followers will follow you because of that. What annoyed me more that people could judge or make others feel some type of way.

What do I recommend for this?
First of who are you actually talking to. Who is your audience. 
Second which languages do they speak and write better in.
Third which of those languages do you feel comfortable in and are you fluent in. 

Have an amazing day




Comments

Most popular