The power of female representation | Day in life RCD



Hello RCD readers,
The power of the right representation molds young people. We as adults are the mirror that children will use to dream their future. I know that because representation was the women around me. 

First female representation would 
have to be my big sister
She doesn't read my blog so she won't even notice that I wrote about her. 

Big Sister's Story (told by her in her words)


Who is she?
I am Cheryll Chin born on April 9, 1984. I'm biracial. From the age of 6 to 23 I did Classical Ballet. I was called "Stylish" in my ballet group because of my passion for fashion. In my teens, I played volleyball. Furthermore, in 2011 I obtained my Bachelor's degree at the Anton de Kom University of Suriname. My Major was Agogiek and 2 Minors in Pedagogy and Work and Organizational Psychology. In my career I have held the position of Marketing Manager and Quality Manager and current position is Human Resource Coordinator. I'm really a people person. Love to motivate people.

Dream career
As a young girl, I dreamed that I would become a fashion designer. At the age of twenty I wanted to follow my passion and obtained certificates for applying makeup and also nail stylist. Everything that had to do with fashion and beauty I kept myself busy. 
 
Rainbow baby
I also participated in Biggest loser of B-Fit and discovered during my last month that I was expected. I was blessed with a rainbow baby on December 20th. A rainbow baby means a baby born after an failed pregnancy. I was 27 weeks pregnant with Chelsea and she weighed 870 grams. Chelsea's will and strength to stay alive gave me strength in life to persevere and go for it.

Mommy & Daughter
In 2020, I put my fashion-conscious four-year-old daughter on her first Models Workshop. I as a mother want to teach her as a young girl to be confident and that it is not only about appearance but also your attitude and how you present yourself.

I was further inspired by my daughter to participate in Curvy Models casting she said Mama is beautiful. Mommy also has to be tough. And yes, as a parent you have to set a good example.
Due to my daughter's motivation, I also participated in Mrs. Grand Suriname and won Mrs. Congeniality, Mrs. Photogenic and 1st Runner-up of Mrs. Grand Suriname

 
This has to be said;
Be unapologetic and authentic yourself whatever that may be.

Second female representation would 
have to be grandmother and mother

The women in my life that have great impact was my grandmother and is my mother.

My deceased grandmother.
(mommy would kill me if I post her picture)


My grandmother and mother are really hard to talk about what they did as profession. Let's start with grandma. This woman put a mark on all of us that till this day is missed and not forgotten.

Grandmother representation in my life
My grandmother was Erna Elizabeth Burnett-Lansman. She was a strong, hardworking home maker. She was a quite woman who never let her thoughts not be heard. She had that magic of making sure you knew what she wanted and she thought of the situation with just a look. She was a women with such a huge heart. Because she always helped others but never let anybody take advantage of her kindness. She took care of women who suffered of postnatal depression which gave us till this day more "aunts" and "uncles". They became longtime friends that later became family. She was a God fearing woman who didn't mind all her grandchildren going to different churches. She was a woman that was so proud of each of her grandchildren. She exuded love. She was the rock and matriarch of the family.

This has to be said;
Be a lady but be a strong smart lady.

Mother representation in my life
My mother is named F.L. Chin-Burnett. She learned me as young lady to keep my norms and values high whatever they may be. She always made sure she had a side hustle. From making cooking to later an extra night job. As a child we never had to do house work because our studies was important. She sacrificed a lot so that we could have a normal childhood. She learned herself to cook amazing. She showed me how to manage my money. She showed me how to plan. But most important she showed me that family is everything and taking care of each other is important. 

This has to be said;
Mamma didn't raise no Gold digger. 
We built up our men. We support our men. We keep them safe. We trust their process. 

Third; Myself as a female representation
I sometime forget this because I live in the present. What I do and the choices I make will be somebody's representation for the future.


My ballet students:
I've noticed that my choices to show that you can combine your hobby and your profession helped others. This showed a lot of my ballet students that they can also come back to dance if they wanted to. And in the past leaving meant you loose your friends. But not anymore. I also made sure that leaving is not a taboo anymore by staying their cheerleaders in different endeavors. I let them be themselves. I'm a weirdo and love it. So I give others the chance to be themselves with no judgement.

My nieces and nephews:
By just choosing my own path I open other's their eyes to let go of the unnecessary set in stone success story. The profession I choose and the life that I live. I'm being my own kind of unicorn in this world.

What have the powerful representations learned me?
From my sister I learned to never be anybody but myself. I've learned to be strong and take care of my mental health. She thought me how to do my best in school. And never let bullies words ever put me down. My grandmother learned me how exude love into loved ones. She thought me how to be a young lady.  And my mother thought me a lot about computers. I learned how to work fast and be a hard worker. And most important how manage money.
All of these ladies showed me how to take care of myself.



Change can only come if we live our own life and not what others expect us to live because of their insecurities.

Comments

Most popular