The importance of following up |Day in the life RCD


 
Hello RCD readers,

This weeks looks like a slow week for freelance work. But the question of the day "should you follow up?"

And the answer is of course yes. You get sometimes more no's than yes and if you wanted to be more proactive from your side. Choose to follow up

The limbo of potential clients and project
Let's talk about the limbo area. That we all know about. Mine would be last month when a couple of potential clients called. They mailed and even called for the price. Some just to ask about the design procedure. Some just to say they have a project for me. And then it begins the waiting game begins. I followed up a couple and those who I was just a maybe didn't respond after the price. Now not because I didn't the project that means the follow up is not necessary. 


Side Note: This tip can be for start up companies or anybody working on a project. 


What does follow up mean?
Follow up is every conversation that you have before  potential freelance project actually begins. From the planning or first consult. Most important is the follow up after this. The call , email or personal conversation after the first consult.  You actually just check if the project is still a go. You check where the person stand. This helps you understand if this will succeed or if this potential project is done deal or on hold for now.

Photo by Thirdman from Pexels

Why should I follow up?
Sometimes clients forget to call after asking for the price. Or sometimes they need a little reminder that you are the best fit for them. And other times people are not sure and looking around. So it's important to show that you actually want the project and show that you are the best person or the job. For those who have forgotten it's a perfect reminder.


How can I follow up?
Create different follow up responses;
1) the "do you still need my services?"
2) the "how is the finished project going?"
3) the "I can see you are not responding. Good luck with your other endeavors"
4) the "you are always welcome to call, mail or app for information"
5) the "mail or app your other promos or in mine case content"



When should I let it go?
Their is no perfect time. But I give the following;
1) after a week:
I use the first follow up. I mail or app and asks if the budget is well received. Plus if they made a choice and will be needing my services.

Sometimes you get a response of yes or no or not now.
  • No; I use the fourth follow up conversation. This helps to keep your business or let's say name and profession in their mind.
  • Not now; I mail my contact information and refer to my social media sites. Plus if they have any one in mind you can give my information.(potential referral). Sometimes people say not now because of the prices or not the right fit for them. BUT they don't see you as not a potential referral towards others. 

2) after 2 weeks /and the person has never responded
I always use the third follow up conversation and end with a sneak peak to my content. I remind them that they haven't responded but I stay professional and keep my feelings aside by referring to my content. This way they might change their minds in the future for another project. 

3) If they say no after the follow up end the conversation politely because how you react can make sure you get their next project.

*most important tips:
- always stay professional 
- always stay polite 
- don't forget to refer to your website, content etc.
- be open to being helpful.
- keep your personal feelings and ego out the door.

So that's what I did these months;
I got a couple of potential clients which I didn't get a response.  So I contacted for a follow up and who didn't respond I let go and focusing on the next project. 




Give your tips and tricks of following up on a project
And how many times does following up help with a new client.


Comments

Most popular