Time to adapt is now | Day in the life RCD

Hello RCD readers,

Today I would love to talk about flexibility. This word is a perfect way to describe last week. But before I give a week recap. Let's define the word "flexibility and the benefits of this".


What does it mean to flexible? 
Flexibility is the capacity to adjust to short-term change quickly and calmly, so that you can deal with unexpected problems or tasks effectively. 

Which ways can you be flexible in work?
- By being better with time managing your work hours
- being more approachable to talk about criticism 
- Not taking things personal and staying professional 
- being flexible for change in work 

Why is it important? * For me
It makes me more approachable for my freelance employers. And most important I'm flexible with change. 

Now let's talk about how I used being flexible to go through the week.

First off.

What changed that I neededq to manage my time efficiently?

- freelance project's in the building permit phase have corrections 
- cousin needs information during a busy week



- 2019 client needs an urgent downsizing of original design because of the economy 

- budget/definitive drawings corrections/getting ready for building permit phase (freelance project)

How did I try to stay flexible? Emphasis on "try"

- by making sure my daily schedule is not out of order. Meaning take care of yourself first before starting the day and also when ending the day.

- using a "to do list". Every morning I write down what needs to be done. 
1) make a deadline date of your ongoing project's
2) write down tasks and fill it in the your workdays
3) wake up with a checklist. Make sure your daily personal task are written in the day
4) end the day with checking what is finished and what needs a different day

.


-  work smart and efficiently instead of harder & over stressed. This by prioritizing what needs to be done that day and what can wait. 

- react within a day. Make sure that you answer mails, apps and calls within a day.

Side note: "A simple I will take care of it" or making sure that you have a solution within three days can make a big difference.

- last open dialogue and transparency. If my employer or client knows where I am it makes it easier for people to be more at ease with your work.

Recap of last week:
Monday 

Project downsize DB
That day began with an reoccurring client wanting to downsize her design. So I had one day to sketch her layout concept and facade inspiration with her plot in mind. And of course what would be possible. So I succeeded and I got my first new project for 2022. A little late but happy anyway.



Tuesday

Project Fred
I began the day with trying to make an excel sheet for the budget of this project. But this was not possible in the morning because a little sick girl needed aunty her attention.  So I worked at night.*hint being flexible with the time.

*Side note a lot of employers needing my help and advise. And making sure I responded to everyone within a day.



Wednesday 

Project downsize DB
Because the client said yes. All I needed was to make sure I planned for this. I took out three weeks to finish the design. Last Tuesday was day one. Mine only tasks were situation-plan and layout of the design. It took early mornings and midday to work on this. 

Project Fred
I planned to work at night on this for a couple of hours. The most important thing was to calculate area of foundation, walls and windows. My employer called to give the okey sign of delivering the drawing for the building permit.

I ended the day with my partner for a late movie night.

Thursday 

Project downsize DB
Early work hours.  I woke up really early to make sure a lot of tasks are done for this project. Foundation plan finished,  facades, roof plan and cross section done. This was a very productive day.

Ongoing projects 
The building department foreseeing the building permits called. 
First employer:
- project JL ; simple cross section correction is needed. I did that really fast but because my week was booked delivering the drawings was not possible until this week.
- project BW ; a lot of corrections, mostly more detailed drawing. I expected this because the design was made without my advice. But we'll make it work. It's an amazing design so hope it doesn't give me or the client extra waiting for the building permit.

Second employer:
- project S ; they needed plot documents because they are not complete. Hopefully that is all the corrections and additions for this project.

I printed out the comments and kept working on the task for the day.

- Project Fred
This project needed some corrections and needed to be printed. And with a smart choice will be delivered on Monday for building permit. 

Friday

This day was bound to be a hectic personal day. So I made sure everyone was up to date with phase the project's are in. This week I can work fully on my freelance project's and give them my fullest attention.  That is an important part of being flexible. 

So with this I end my recap of last week.

If you want some January project's recap of update comment below.

And remember!!


Flexibility requires an open mind and welcoming  of new alternatives




Comments

Most popular