Leave It at the Door | Day in the life RCD


Hello RCD readers,

​As September enters its final two weeks, I find myself asking: Am I really ready?

​My studio break is short, and I decided to spend most of it with my loved ones. At times, coordinating family activities feels almost like managing a regular schedule, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Being able to enjoy time with family while doing what I love every day is a true blessing.

​I take immense pride in every project. I devote my full energy to each one, which is why I typically commit to a minimum timeline of three to four weeks. On a normal workday, I am juggling client management, technical drafting, budget calculations, coordinating with external colleagues, managing finances, handling administrative duties, and keeping up with marketing—all within a standard five-day workweek. Rather than feeling exhausting, it is exhilarating; it gives me the energy boost to deliver my absolute best work.

​In ballet, we are taught a simple rule: "Leave it at the door."

​In short: the show must go on. It is the perfect mindset for resilience. I don’t bring personal issues onto the dance floor, and I don’t bring them into my studio work either. I give my absolute best, which is all any of us can do.

​When my planned two-week break started looking like a standard workweek, I had to make conscious choices. Projects that are moving at a slower pace or aren't ready for the definitive design phase have been shifted to October. However, high-priority projects with tight deadlines remain on my plate.

​That choice has meant taking late calls when I would otherwise be off-duty, putting in extra hours after long days to ensure deadlines are met, wrapping up foundation budget calculations for an eager client, or working on a Sunday to clear the path for October deliverables. Combining personal life and work during this period has been manageable, but do I feel well-rested? Not quite.

​So what am I doing? I'm leaving it at the door.

​I choose not to dwell on the extra hours spent on challenging situations, nor on moments where my effort feels unappreciated. Even when met with disrespect or impatience from clients who may not fully understand the magnitude and complexity of the architectural process, I remain committed to my professional standards.

​I will still double-check every detail this coming Friday to ensure everything remains on schedule. My approach to these situations stays the same: complete the work thoroughly so the quality speaks for itself, pray for the craftsmanship to shine through, and refuse to engage in negativity..

​Even during this week off, my commitment doesn't stop. When structural engineering details came in, I reviewed the calculations over the weekend. I believe in complete transparency with my clients, which is why I communicated clearly: we will finalize the foundation details this week so work can proceed, while the remaining construction drawings will be completed once I fully return from my break.

​Meanwhile, I am continuing work on my sole active September project—it is straightforward, and I want to deliver it right on time.

Comments

Most popular