Boundaries Are Not Control
Hello RCD readers,
In life and business, we often hear that we shouldn't hold others to "standards they never agreed to." While that sounds fair on the surface, it often masks a deeper misunderstanding about what it means to hold a standard versus trying to control someone else.
There is a vital distinction between the two, and understanding it is key to building sustainable relationships—whether with clients, colleagues, or within your personal life.
Standards vs. Control
It is a common misconception that enforcing your personal standards is a form of control. But here is the reality: setting a standard is not about controlling someone else’s behavior. It is about deciding what you are willing to tolerate in your own environment.
When you set a boundary, you are not asking for someone’s permission. You are simply establishing the terms of your engagement.
Why Boundaries Matter
You don’t need agreement, approval, or even understanding from others to maintain your own standards. They don’t have to like how you operate, but they must accept that their choices have consequences.
For example, if one of your non-negotiables is honesty, you aren't trying to force someone to be honest. You are simply stating that you will not tolerate dishonesty. If someone chooses to lie, they aren't "breaking a contract"—they are simply showing you that your values are not aligned.
Own Your Space
When you stop looking for validation from the past or permission from others to hold your ground, you become free to build a life and career that aligns with your core values. Don’t be surprised when your choices have consequences; instead, embrace them as part of the process of growth.
Protecting your peace, your workspace, and your integrity isn't about being difficult. It is about being clear. When you operate with clarity, you naturally attract people who align with your standards—and gracefully move on from those who don't.
I've done a great job with that. The people I choose to keep close respect each other’s boundaries, personal space, and privacy. I have an entire life that I don't talk about here—not to be secretive, but because these people are a deeply important part of me. I take their privacy and their protection from outside opinions and negative comments very seriously.
My recent social boundary is leaving others' reputations intact, while expecting that same respect in return. I don't speak ill to strangers about someone else's indiscretions toward me. People often think I never figured out their ill will, or that God hasn't shown me everything. I always know every negative thing people have said or done to me; either I learn it now, or God shows me later. I always know.
The boundary I keep for myself is respecting my own peace. I don't need to respond to other people's inability to let go and move on. Does it bother me? Yes. Because if I gave you the grace to start fresh, chose not to meddle, and left you in peace without saying anything negative about your life, I wish others would do the same instead of consistently reacting to professional content. Give me the respect to let me move forward in peace.



.png)
Comments
Post a Comment